Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday

When I think of Easter, some of the first things that come to mind are egg hunts (Collin stealing the golden egg!!! We have video proof!), families getting together, chocolate bunnies, and of course the resurrection story.  

Being here in PNG has given me a different view of Easter Sunday.  There was no egg hunt here, and even if there was, I'm pretty sure there would be no five dollar golden egg.  Most of my family is still in the states. (All but one as a matter of fact).   And chocolate is extremely scarce over here, so definitely no chocolate bunnies. The only thing that remains of a "normal Easter" is the resurrection.  But when I think about it, that really is the entire reason we celebrate Easter.  Of course, families and traditions are fine in their place, but I think that in America, we are too focused on lunch, when our focus should be on Christ coming up from the grave and what that did for us.  

This morning, I was able to go with Bro. John Allen (Bro. Matt's dad) to the village of Ipaiyu, and Bro. John gave a mini-sermon about the resurrection. It was amazing to watch people who were hanging on every word, many because this was there first time to ever hear this story.  When Bro. John got to the crucifixion, and began talking about how Christ suffered for our sins, Nathaniel, the translator for Bro. John, was barely able to get the story out because he was crying and choking up.  When I looked out across the crowd of forty who had assembled, many heads were hanging, and almost all of the adults were wiping tears from their eyes.  It made me really re-examine my view of the resurrection.  All these people had no other place to be, and were so consumed in the words coming from Bro. John, it made me ashamed for how lightly I take the story of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.  

The next sermon, given by Nathaniel, was about Christ giving us bread and living water.  I really didn't get much of the message, but Bro. John translated the main points.  The service, which lasted over three and a half hours, ended and we found out that three people had been saved, all during Bro. John's message.  We have always heard the saying "Familiarity breeds contempt", but it really sinks in when it's seen from a fresh perspective.  

If I got anything this morning that I wanted to share with everyone back home, especially before Easter services, it would be to take a fresh look at the entire resurrection story.  Just think about it as if you have never heard the story before, and I know it will mean more, and be much more of a blessing to you. I can say from experience that it was for me this morning!

-Connor

2 comments:

  1. I was so dreading our first Easter with you two, but after reading this post I am convinced you are right where you needed to be today. I am so thankful for what God's doing in your hearts. Love, Momma
    PS-I'm saving you a chocolate bunny for when you come home! ;)

    ReplyDelete