Friday, March 29, 2013

Powerless Prayers

I have been one two mission trips in my life. This one (of course) and, as many of you know, one to Germany. There are many similar things that I got from these two very different places that I could tell you. But nothing stands out as  closely related than the praying I have heard done in both places. 

In Germany, there was a heavy-set man in Brother Lawerence's church who prayed multiple times I believe while we where there, but I believe it was the Wednesday night before we left that he prayed a prayer that broke the hearts of most of the teens on that trip . . . and we only understood ONE phrase. "Danka shön". It means "thank you very much". Maybe I will be unable to paint the picture with my words as to how special his prayer was, but I do hope you understand. When he began to pray, he would open up with "Father God, danka shön" and then pause for a noticeably long period of time. Then he would start thanking God for many different things, none of which I could understand, but I knew that phrase "danka shön"! Over and over again he thanked God. Tears started to trickle down my face as I realized just how un-thankful I was, embarrassed before the Lord during his prayer. Later I talked with some of the others who said the pretty much the same thing. 

That was back if August, and now, I'm on the other side of the world in the opposite direction and I find that I was moved by a prayer said here. I have heard many people pray while here and not everyone has the same effect. Now, I know that prayers are for God and not for man, but haven't you ever heard a prayer that did something for you personally? The other evening we were sitting in church on a Wednesday night and one of the Bible students was praying after Pastor James asked him to. It never had struck me this way before, but as the man was praying he kept saying a phrase over and over again - "Papa God". Over and over he said it. Papa God. It means "Father God", but it had a very personal feeling to it. I know it's not supposed to be this way, but too many times in my life I have been guilty of just "going through the motions" of praying. My words, having no feeling behind them, just said from my lips and not the heart. Sometimes I wonder what the reasons for this might be. I don't want my prayers to be so repetitious. I believe that these two things that I previously mentioned have quite a bit to do with it! As for the first, I am way too un-thankful for all the unbelievable blessings God has given me. My church, my family, my friends, my life! The small abilities that He has given me. The parents that want me and my siblings to do what God wants. Everything!!!  If I were more thankful for what God has given me, I might find my prayers reflect it more. And as for second idea that I mentioned, if I considered God as my Father rather than as someone to call on in times of need or someone to try to appease with ritualistic ramblings, I might find Him more likely to answer and speak to me. A father wants to have a good standing relationship with his son. He wants to bless him. He wants to help him! God is the best father a person could ever have and He is our, as born-again believers, heavenly Father. If I will see prayers as more of a relationship, rather than a requirement, then I know my prayers will become sweet times of fellowship rather than something done in while falling off asleep. 

These thoughts have been running through my head for the last week for so and I just thought I would share them with you. It is one of the many thing God has shown me on this trip. I know it's not your typical post for this trip, but it was something I felt like would be a blessing.

-Collin

2 comments:

  1. Collin, I love the stories and the details you give as you write. It is very vivid and heartwarming as you tell us about your days and experiences. Thank you all for keeping us updated on your time there in PNG. We are praying.

    Mrs. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! Yes. I cried. So did Daddy.

    ReplyDelete